Melissa Allen, RN, Joint Care Coordinator
The Methodist Joint Replacement Center is a dedicated center for knee and hip joint replacement patients. The specialized center incorporates a highly skilled team of clinical professionals and an innovative care approach that improves outcomes, reduces side effects, minimizes pain and speeds recovery for hip and knee replacement patients. Patients typically return home after a two to three night stay.
One team member especially critical to the success of the Joint Replacement Center is the Joint Care Coordinator. Registered nurse Melissa Allen works with patients from beginning with preoperative education through their hospital stay and discharge.
“Our program emphasizes patient and family involvement in recovery and we begin the education process with pre-operative teaching,” says Allen. “Preparing patients and families to understand what to expect before, during and after surgery is one of the best ways we can help them feel less anxious about the experience.”
In addition to teaching a weekly class for joint replacement patients, Allen can help with the following:
- Answer questions and directs patient to specific resources within the hospital
- Assesses patients’ needs at home including caregiver availability
- Coordinates patients’ discharge plans to outpatient services, home, or a skilled nursing facility
- Assist in getting answers to insurance questions
- Act as a liaison throughout the course of treatment from preoperative through postoperative discharge
- Answer questions and coordinate hospital care with Methodist Joint Replacement Center team members
For questions about the Methodist Joint Replacement Center, please call our Joint Care Coordinator, Melissa Allen, at (865) 835-4550.